Monday, April 4, 2011

Kitchen Inspiration and the beginnings of a house

One of my mom's favorite stories about me is the time I told her I wanted to be a writer when I was a little girl. She was so proud of me and asked what sort of stories I would write about. "No, a horsey rider," I said. So, please forgive me, I am not a writer. I have the bad habit of omitting important details in my stories, so not to bore people. But, what ends up happening is that I tell a story devoid of any interest and it ends up boring anyway. So, either I should stop telling stories or inject so many details that it is over the top...

Hopefully I can find some middle ground in documenting our adventure in house building. We sold our sweet house on the hill two weeks ago and reality is slowly setting in. We've got things to do, subcontractors to call and plans to finalize. Today I am calling electricians, plumbers and HVAC people. I sent out a request for good people to call on and I was so excited to hear from my acquaintances who they had good experiences with. Because, I'm finding out quickly that building a house is quite the experience!

The picture above is inspiration for our kitchen. I created it on Olioboard. We purchased the lights a few weeks ago off of Craiglist. They were used in the Little Rock Airport and were removed sometime in the 60's. They have a beautiful vintage enamel green color and are in beautiful shape! We are going to hang two of them over the large butcher block island. The guy we bought them from would only sell me four at $30 each because the ones on ebay are selling for about $100. Allrighty then. The kitchen sink we picked up on the side of the road. Really. I know that makes my mother-in-law squirm, but I had to have it. It is huge, cast iron and weighs about two hundred pounds. $20 bucks. I'm searching for a wall mounted faucet and I love the one that has a built-in soap dish. I think that is pretty fitting, don't you?

We purchased a kitchen-aid dishwasher a few months ago and are chomping at the bit to purchase the rest of the appliances. You'll notice that we are opting for a side-by-side refrigerator. We had a french door style with the freezer on the bottom at our other house and I was not a fan. The freezer would become jammed pack and it was nearly impossible to find anything without going on an archeological dig. Also, more than I'd like to admit, the door drawer wouldn't close all the way and things would begin to thaw. Because of that, I became OCD about making sure it closed and had a good seal. Of course, it will be an energy star appliance and I'll fill you in on all the things we are incorporating to make it energy efficient and green soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment