Monday, June 27, 2011

the tub



Happy Monday! I hope you had a wonderful weekend. We spent Saturday afternoon out at the property measuring, walking in the dust and going to Caldwell Hardware's grand opening. We invested in a 5 gallon Rubbermaid drink dispenser while we there. They were on sale for $15.00 this weekend (regularly $21.00). Sutherland's has them for sale for $32.00. So I figure, a $17.00 savings. (I know, exciting stuff happens in our life!)
We've talked a little about efficiency of our house. Mostly, energy efficiency. But we are also considering cost efficiency and time efficiency in conjunction with energy efficiency. It is very rare where cost, energy and time are all rolled into one product that makes it a clear decision for our building process. Although, the SIP panels are a great example of just that. They are the best building choice for the envelope, in our case. I would love to believe that the energy efficiency of an item would take precedence of time and money, sadly, that is not always the case. The "greener" a product is, it seems more expensive.
We've found a great middle ground and I've been pleased with the decisions. An example is a tub. I was conflicted about the tub in the master bathroom. I love the idea of a tub and nice, relaxing bath. This weekend while we were in Jackson, MS celebrating Papa's 92nd birthday, I was a bit disappointed there wasn't a tub in our hotel room. Then I realized the chances of me taking a bath was slim. Basically, zero. But, I know that one day, sooner that later, I will take a bath and it will be the best in my recent memory.
So while Adam and I talked more about the tub, he mentioned that a soaker would not require any power to run a whirlpool pump. That was when I knew that a soaker tub would be the best choice for our house. I really don't need the fancy jets and although the "facial for your body" sounds indulgent, I can live without it. Using less energy and making our house more efficient, soakers are significantly less expensive and Jason tubs are made in North Little Rock! It seems every item that is going into this house has been discussed and analyzed, the pros and cons, the cost, time and energy efficiency. Even the tub.

No comments:

Post a Comment